Re: [LAU] integrating linux+osx boxes?

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 17 2011 - 14:05:16 EEST

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 6:57 AM, Dan MacDonald <allcoms@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 11:28 AM, Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 3:22 AM, Dan MacDonald <allcoms@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>>
>> > Will we:
>> > * Be able to use VST(i)s under Ardour 3 OSX? If it doesn't make 3.0 I'm
>> > sure
>> > public outcry will make it inevitable for 3.1! ;)
>>
>> No. I am not aware of any notable plugins for OS X that are available
>> only in VST format, or rather, *not* available in AU format. Apple
>> ensured by that their own exclusion of VST support from some notable
>> programs of their own. A few independent plugin developers rely on
>> users using VST<->AU bridges (such as those made by FXpansion), and we
>> would basically be doing the same thing, but as a host.
>
> Are you saying A3 will have a AU<->VST bridge?

No. These bridges are proprietary AU (or VST) plugins that in turn
host VST (or AU) plugins. FXpansion's are the best, from what I can
gather.

 If so, will we be able to
> transfer sessions between lxvst plugins under A3 Linux and the same plugins
> as AU's under A3 OSX?

As noted before, no. A3 does not host VST on OS X, and there are zero
plans to change that.

>> > * Least unlikely I know but would there be any chance I could save a
>> > project
>> > using Linuxsampler as a LV2 under A3 Linux then load the same project
>> > using
>> > the AU version of Linuxsampler under OSX?
>>
>> yes. absolutely no reason why this would not work.
>
> That is good news! I was expecting I'd have to compile Linuxsampler as an
> LV2 under OSX just for A3.

Sorry, I misread what you asked. No, that will not work. But you can
build LS as an LV2 for OS X.