Re: [LAU] Top DSP plugins?

From: fred <f.rech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Oct 18 2011 - 20:08:16 EEST

Le 18/10/2011 10:50, Jeremy Jongepier a écrit :
> On 10/17/2011 11:22 PM, James Stone wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Just wondered if people could give me a list of their favorite DSP
>> plugins for "normal" studio recording type jobs.
>>
>> I guess I would need a parametric EQ, compressor and reverb.. Anything else?
>>
>> Whenever I have tried to mix a live recording before, I have always
>> got lost in the spectacular array of different plugins - but quite
>> often never found one that quite fits the bill. So I'm wondering if I
>> have everything I need installed at the moment - and what the number 1
>> go-to effects are for people here?
>>
>> James
>>
> Hello James,
>
> Compressor: LADSPA SC4 and SC3 (the latter for being able to use
> sidechain compression), LinuxDSP Pro Channel Dynamics and LinuxDSP
> Multi-band Compressor. Personally I don't really like the Calf
> compressor, it lacks warmth which otoh can be very useful in some
> situations. The Invada compressor is nice but it quickly starts to 'pump'.
> EQ: I tend to use little EQ, basically only to sharpen off the edges.
> Most of the time I just type EQ in Qtractor's plug-in search field and
> pick one of which I deem useful. I don't really have a favorite.
> Reverb: Freeverb and for the short reverbs I use TAP. Sometimes I use
> other ones too, like gverb or the CAPS one.
>
> My personal number 1 go-to effects are not part of the above list
> though. Like Louigi I really dig the Calf Vintage Delay because it is
> the only delay that allows me to set it to a certain BPM instead of ms.
> And it sounds quite good too. And I use vocoders too, my fave is the MDA
> LV2 Vocoder plug-in. Other effects I really like are the LADSPA Comb
> Filter, TAP TubeWarmth, Calf Saturator (that one is awesome) and various
> distortion/phaser/flanger plug-ins (Crossover distortion, Calf Phaser,
> Guitarix distortion). And gates, sometimes you'll need a gate, but with
> gates it is a bit the same as for EQ's in my case, I just grab what's
> available.

Hi list,

All FX I use have been named already, but :
SC4 and SC3 to compress, or LinuxDSP ones
LV2 10 bands EQ
Linux DSP paramétric mono EQ
lo & hi pass
TAP tubewarmth
preamp simulator + tone control
LV2 IR for convolution reverb or cabinet sim

I don't use much delay, but if you like to convert easily from BPM to
msec you can use :
http://web.forret.com/tools/bpm_tempo.asp?bpm=100&beat=4&base=4

or have a calculator and multiply BPM by 3 (1/8), or 6 (1/4), or 9 , etc
for binary beats
or multiply BPM by 4 (1/6), or 8, etc... for ternary ones
if like a 1/8dot delay, you add half the value of 1/8 to it
ie at BPM =100 dly 1/4dot binary = 900
it is that easy : tempo is maths !!

HTH,
Fred