Re: [LAU] Top DSP plugins?

From: S. Massy <lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Oct 20 2011 - 01:01:38 EEST

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 11:02:54PM +0200, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
> On 10/19/2011 09:09 PM, S. Massy wrote:
> >It's also interesting to note that, with the plethora of devices,
> >plugins and general techniques available today, mmusic production seems
> >to be sonically convergent. IOW, back when people had less freedom in
> >terms of choice, they fought harder to create a production sound
> >specific to them, while today, that self-same freedom seems to be used
> >to mimic one another as much as possible. (This is speaking broadly, of
> >course.)
> >
> >Cheers,
> >S.M.
>
> Maybe that's because times are changing. Artists and bands do not
> have the budgets anymore that say Fleetwood Mac had when they
> recorded Rumors, when their producer rented a complete opera Hall to
> record just one song. They had the budget to do that, nowadays my
> bet is that even Coldplay or Lady Gaga are tied to much smaller
> budgets simply because the demand is less. No artist will ever top
> Simon & Garfunkel in Central Park again, pop and rockstars are being
> superseded by soccerplayers and DJ's.
> No wonder a lot of music production is sonically convergent, the
> record industry is getting pretty desparate if you ask me and as
> long as the shrinking audience still likes more of the same they'll
> get it stuffed through their throats.
If you mean that production sound is convergent due to lack of means, I
can't agree with you, since the very point of modern technology is that
wonders can be achieved in a home studio the likes of which might have
cost a hundred times as much barely twenty years ago.

If, on the other hand, you mean that music has become mostly just
another comodity and the industry is s**t scared to alienate the
"consumers", then I am in full agreement with you.

"One of the wonders of the world is going down
It's going down I know
It's one of the blunders of the world that no-one cares
No-one cares enough"
        -- Porcupine Tree: "The Sound Of Muzak"

Cheers,
S.M.