Re: [LAU] Top DSP plugins?

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Oct 20 2011 - 01:42:12 EEST

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 12:16:45AM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> I experienced this 0.01% of the time margin is overstepped as not being
> audible. YMMV Overstepping 0 dBFS not always cause audible results.

I recently made a live recording of Berio's 'A-Ronne', in this case
performed by six singers. It has a *very* wide dynamic range (which
has to be reduced for e.g. broadcasting, as was the case) and takes
about 26 minutes. 0.01% of 26 minutes is around 1.5 seconds, and I
can assure you that a female voice at +9dB and being clipped for
0.5 seconds three times is quite a nasty effect.

> > but none of them would produce such
> > gratituous nonsense as what you write above.
>
> It's hard for you to understand the context of speech? :D

Maybe, but I don't think so. And I'm pretty sure that when you
wrote

> Fortunately Steve Jobs died this month, hopefully Bill Gates
> will follow ... and Angela Merkel and ...

that wasn't a joke, precisely _because_ of the context, and even
if it was a joke it doesn't do you much credit.

Ciao,

--
FA