Re: [LAU] Multitrack recording with MIDI sync?

From: Julien Claassen <julien@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Oct 23 2011 - 18:53:00 EEST

Hello Mario!
   It gets difficult, but I think not unmanageable. My tools of choice for that
experiment have been: midish, Nama/Ecasound, jmc (Jack Midi Clock) and klick
(jack-aware metronome). There was j2a_midi_bridge and a2j_midi_bridge, but I
think JACK might now include software ALSASEQ ports. So you could dispend with
a2j_midi_bridge.
   So you see, that you have a jackmidi->alsa_seq->jack_midi passthru
connection. You start jack_midi_clock and then klick. Klick will give the the
tempo in JACK. Because jack_midi_clock syncs the midi clock to jack_transport,
which - I think - is the most reliable way of doing it. Then you can use
midish, with its master clock set to the jack_midi_clock port. Then in midish
you can record MIDI and control its start stop by Nama/Ecasound. Of course for
the original recording just midish without all the other software will do.
   Does anyone have a more modern idea on that? I think jack_midi_clock isn't
available anymore. I have a package. But my site is down right now. I'll look
it up and mail it again. I can also send you my script starting all of the
"backend" software in one go, using GNU screen.
   Warm regards
             Julien

Such Is Life: Very Intensely Adorable;

====== Find my music at ======