Re: [LAU] Multitrack recording with MIDI sync?

From: Mario Lang <mlang@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 24 2011 - 00:22:22 EEST

Julien Claassen <julien@mail.upb.de> writes:

> It gets difficult, but I think not unmanageable. My tools of choice
> for that experiment have been: midish, Nama/Ecasound, jmc (Jack Midi
> Clock) and klick (jack-aware metronome). There was j2a_midi_bridge and
> a2j_midi_bridge, but I think JACK might now include software ALSASEQ
> ports. So you could dispend with a2j_midi_bridge.
> So you see, that you have a jackmidi->alsa_seq->jack_midi passthru
> connection. You start jack_midi_clock and then klick. Klick will give
> the the tempo in JACK. Because jack_midi_clock syncs the midi clock to
> jack_transport, which - I think - is the most reliable way of doing
> it. Then you can use midish, with its master clock set to the
> jack_midi_clock port. Then in midish you can record MIDI and control
> its start stop by Nama/Ecasound. Of course for the original recording
> just midish without all the other software will do.

I was already guessing that it would get complicated, but so much? :-)

> Does anyone have a more modern idea on that? I think jack_midi_clock
> isn't available anymore. I have a package. But my site is down right
> now. I'll look it up and mail it again. I can also send you my script
> starting all of the "backend" software in one go, using GNU screen.

A script would highly be appreciated. From your description, it looks
pretty complicated. I was sort of hoping I could just record
the MIDI track along with the audio, and resubmit the clock ticks on the
second take... But I guess I was pretty naive.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕