Re: [LAU] Looking for Audio Watermarking Advice & Tools

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 24 2011 - 00:42:21 EEST

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 09:44:58PM +0200, Nick Copeland wrote:

> Are you looking at an open operating system to help you close your
> mind? Forget the technical issues involved, I personally think you are
> talking to the wrong community: watermarking is a means of restricting
> distribution of visual material.

No it is not. All a watermark does it to identify the source
of the data it is embedded in, and in such a way that can't be
removed easily. That does not imply any use of it.

And by the way, restricting distribution of some material is
perfectly legitimate, it's up to the copyright holder to do
that or not, and there is nothing morally or otherwise wrong
with that if he/she does.

The very idea that, if something is made available under some
conditions that should imply it is free for all, is as stupid
as 'either you're with us or against us'.

Ciao,

--
FA