[LAU] OT - Digital Rights

From: Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 24 2011 - 07:56:43 EEST

I went to a talk many months back on the IEEE working group P1817
sometime standard aimed at helping people to be able to treat their
digital property more like they treat their physical property. For
example, you can loan someone a CD or DVD, and then they give it back
or you don't loan stuff to them again. Why shouldn't that work for
an electronic copy? Why shouldn't you be able to sell your e-book
when your done with it? How should a library deal with loaning of
e-books? How about loaning an e-book over the net?

Anyway, it was pretty interesting stuff to me. I thought there
might be an interest in this, given recent discussions here.
Here's a blurb on it.

http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/1817/pub_docs/ORtalk_final_posted.pdf

It's not perfect, but anything that helps get commerce in digital
goods flowing in a more sane manner is nice to me.

Cheerio...

--
Kevin