Re: [LAU] First installment of "FLOSS your music": Ken Restivo

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 24 2011 - 13:21:08 EEST

On Sun, Oct 02, 2011 at 11:40:12AM +0000, lists@email-addr-hidden wrote:

> On 10/2/2011, "Roberto Suarez Soto" <talkingxouba@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> >
> > http://xouba.net/post/10928797789/floss-your-music-ken-restivo
> >

> Excellent read, although I could quite happily have read twice, three or
> even four times the amount! I always like to read in-depth about
> fascinating topics :-)
>
> Two points of pedantry: I think the list of shredders should include
> Rhodes not Roads (I'm assuming it's Randy that's referred to) and
> Octave's The Cat was a very close knock-off of the ARP Odyssey, not a
> Moog -- to the degree that they were sued by ARP apparently.
>
> Keep up the good work.

Wow, good point. Yes it was a clone of an ARP Odyssey.

It had the same kind of sliders and layout of an ARP. And an absurd pitchbend that was basically an ordinarly potentiometer fader.

As for what it sounded like, here it is, circa 1984, fed through a horrific array of distortion-producing *things*:

http://storage.restivo.org/music/Hugh_Magma/metalalloy34.ogg

Prog-rock meets metal meets psychedelia meets I'm not sure exactly what. Hey, I was 18.

-ken