Re: [LAU] Recommend inexpensive monitors and headphones

From: alexander <axeldenstore@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 24 2011 - 20:41:36 EEST

On 10/21/2011 03:39 PM, Artem Vakhitov wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> can you recommend me some inexpensive but good small monitors and
> headphones for home recording? No high aspirations yet, just for doing
> various demos on my laptop. Admittedly, I don't know how to define
> "good" here, I just need them to be perceptibly better than your
> average desktop speakers and earbuds :) Similarly, I don't really know
> what "inexpensive" is referring to the above, but as a wild guess,
> let's start from $100. I prefer plain audio solutions, though will
> consider USB ones (my Samsung Q70 has two US ports only, so that puts
> some limitations).
>
> Regards,
> Artem Vakhitov

Imho, it doesn't really mather that much what speakers you use to mix
with as long os they have reasonable frequency response which most
loudspeakers today have (I use consumergrade hifi, Wharfedale 9.1's)..
The perception of sound is subjective, eg I have no idea how you or
anybody else percieve the sound of, say Sting in a pair of genelecs or
any other brand. Something that I do recommend tho is to often reference
listen to your favorite tracks when mixing, _not_ to copy sound but just
for the sake of sanity checking levels and reverbs and such... also
remember to let mixing take time.. mix a track till you like it, take a
break from the song for a couple of hours, preferably let it cure over
night.. Then the next listen is the most critical seconds of it all,
cause now you have fresh ears, note anything that stands out on a paper
and fix it after you listen through the song once.