Re: [LAU] OT - Digital Rights

From: Joe Hartley <jh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 24 2011 - 21:06:39 EEST

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 13:37:54 -0400
Paul Davis <paul@linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:

> what an interesting claim. perhaps you explain to me how it is that
> this is for sale at (typically) US$0.49 per track:
>
> http://www.emusic.com/listen/#/album/Global-Illage-Sushilove-Sessions-MP3-Download/12031810.html:
>
> and yet I'm still several thousand dollars in debt from the process
> that led to its creation?

It's interesting to me that while the process of music distribution
is vastly different, the mechanics that screw over the musicians are
still firmly entrenched.

Steve Albini wrote this classic piece on how a band that sells a
quarter-million albums can get boned:
    http://www.negativland.com/albini.html

Nowadays you can sell much more directly, but that means you pay
the costs directly, too. All that computer gear and the instruments
have to get paid for somehow!

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 1:13 PM, alexander <axeldenstore@gmail.com> wrote:
> Imo it's absurd that you can charge 0,89€ for a locked down mp3 and get away
> with it.. I mean, the profit margins are 100%.. or well, they start out at ~
> -99.999...% and rise, approaching 99.99999999999999...% the more people who
> buy it.

I believe that the most user-friendly sites (I've heard Amazon & iTunes
referenced) give the artist ~70% of the take, while eMusic only gives
the artist ~30%. So right off the bat, at *best* your direct profit is
only around 70%, but what about the time it takes to make the music? What
about the space and gear needed to create the music? Even if you're
using 100% open source software that you haven't shelled out a nickel
for and don't use any outboard gear at all, there's still an investment.

I don't know too many people making money at music, and the ones who
do aren't making a lot, I can tell you.