Re: [LAU] Looking for Audio Watermarking Advice & Tools

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Oct 25 2011 - 00:34:30 EEST

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 08:50:00AM -0400, Al Thompson wrote:

> I've never been interested in doing this, but I can't believe that you
> can hide date in an audio file and it NOT cause some
> distortion/artifacts, and still play in a standard MP3/WAV audio program.

Hiding data in WAV files or similar is fairly simple. It's a bit
more difficult in lossy formats but still not rocket science.

But a watermark needs more than hiding:

* It should survive a change of format.
* It must not be easily removable unless you have
  privileged information.

And that can be quite hard.

Ciao,

--