Re: [LAU] Open Sound Interface project beginnings

From: Charles Henry <czhenry@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Oct 25 2011 - 22:59:13 EEST

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 2:41 PM, Renato <rennabh@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 14:54:46 -0500
> Charles Henry <czhenry@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
>> Hi, list
>>
>> I'm interested in getting feedback for a project, namely building an
>> audio interface, with the goal of creating freely available schematics
>> and code required.  Hence, an Open Sound Interface.
>
> Hi, I find this idea remarkable. I'm not able to contribute on the
> technical parts, but I just wanted to signal you something I found out
> some time ago:
>
> http://www.ohwr.org/projects/cernohl/wiki/CernOhlProjects
>
> basically, from what I understand, at CERN in Switzerland they
> developed a license for open source hardware ("The CERN–OHL is to
> hardware what the General Public Licence (GPL) is to software"), and
> they're working on several pieces of hardware under this license. If
> you go in the "Projects" section, you can see there are some ADCs and
> DACs, so maybe you can find some useful stuff for your project :)
>
> cheers and good luck,
> renato

This is also terrific information! There's some great HDL/FPGA info
under projects, which covers some of the hardware interfaces that I've
been considering.

Also, some hardware DAQ projects (stuff in the Msamples/sec range,
which is higher spec than we're interested in for right now). Thanks
for the info!