Re: [LAU] RT in Arch Linux

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Nov 22 2011 - 00:42:32 EET

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 11:25:01PM +0100, Philipp Überbacher wrote:
> Excerpts from Fons Adriaensen's message of 2011-11-15 23:40:04 +0100:
> > On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 02:19:01PM -0800, Bernardo Barros wrote:
> >
> > > Also: uninstall nvidia, install nouveau to make your system compatible
> > > with the new linux-rt 3.0 series.
> >
> > I never used the proprietary nvidia driver, but on one system (out of
> > the > 10 I'm admin for), I'm forced to use nv. Video HW is 7300 LE.
> > With nouveau everything works OK up to and including the xdm login
> > (with the Arch 'theme'). But as soon as I login and start either
> > windowmaker or xfce the screen looks as if X is using the wrong
> > resolution (offset and partially repeated). Things have been like
> > this for the past two years, and are still the same after a complete
> > update earlier today. If you have any hints that could help to solve
> > this I'd be very happy !
>
> It's a long shot, but did you try it without login manager?

No, for the simple reason that the login manager is the part
that works...

Xdm is an X app, so X is running when I see the login screen,
and everything seems OK. I've no idea what is actually supposed
to happen when I login. Is X restarted by launching windowmaker
or xfce ? If it is, that is probably where things go wrong.

I could try booting into RL3, log in and then move to RL5 and
a window manager. What is the recommended way of doing this ?

Ciao,

--
FA
Vor uns liegt ein weites Tal, die Sonne scheint - ein Glitzerstrahl.