Re: [LAU] [slightly OT] Musical citation (what is allowed?)

From: Q <lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Nov 30 2011 - 22:24:08 EET

On 30/11/11 15:13, Renato wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 15:46:26 +0000
> Lorenzo Sutton<lorenzofsutton@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
>> I once heard a story of Italian
>> collecting society SIAE 'inspectors' bursting in at a no-profit
>> charity party who were simply playing CDs on their stereo and fining
>> them some hundreds euro!!
>
> if the CDs were original, what was the problem?

Presumably because they hadn't paid for a licence to publicly broadcast
the music.

Just because something is done by a charity or not-for-profit
organisation doesn't mean that the law doesn't apply to them. It makes
perfect sense to me -- if TV or radio have to pay royalties when
broadcasting, it seems only fair that other public broadcasters (whether
over the airwaves or via a public address system) do the same.