Re: [LAU] WG: [slightly OT] Musical citation (what is allowed?)

From: Vytautas Jancauskas <unaudio@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Dec 01 2011 - 11:17:54 EET

What a load of bollocks. Originality is key to art. Without it you are a
glorified jester. There is nothing wrong indeed using themes developed by
others if you avoid simply repeating tired cliches. So use other peoples
melodies as long as you make them somehow your own.

> In fact, isn't this is what composers write songs for, so that people can
play and sing them?

No.

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 10:15 AM, Louigi Verona <louigi.verona@email-addr-hiddenwrote:

> I second what Ralf says.
>
> There is a nice Russian article on the subject. Shortly speaking, it is
> about the fact that art has always been standing on other artists'
> shoulders. But now such a stance is denied to artists and it is sometimes
> even deemed shameful if you are using synth presets, instead of coming up
> with your own. So the article speaks of how the cult of originality has
> toned down creativity and that songwriters spend too much time trying to
> make original presets and arrangements instead of writing songs and how
> much time is spent in doing something original just for the sake of
> originality.
> I am very much with what the author says. I do not see a problem with
> anyone using another composer's melody. In fact, isn't this is what
> composers write songs for, so that people can play and sing them?
>
> Indeed, economical thinking has distorted perception of art greatly with
> this concept of originality.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Louigi.

"Cheshire-Puss," she began, "would you tell me, please,
which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to," said the Cat.
"I don't care much where--" said Alice.
"Then it doesn't matter which way you go," said the Cat.