Re: [LAU] Good audio interface for GNU/Linux?

From: Al Thompson <althompson58@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 13 2011 - 05:49:40 EET

On 12/12/2011 12:04 AM, tizo wrote:

> Patrick, Al, thanks for your help.
>
> If we choose the headphone amp solution, we would still need an
> instrument input for each laptop/PC (for bass and guitar). Would you
> recommend using a PCI one for this or an USB one should be enough?.
> Which one?. Would it be possible to use the mic input of our cheap
> sound cards from our laptops to connect those instruments?
>
> Thanks again.

I'm not sure I understand the need for PCs at all in this situation.

My suggestion would be for each guitarist and the bassist to use their
normal signal processing chain, and, instead of plugging each into an
amp, plug instead into a DI and run it into your mixer. Most mixers
have at least two monitor sends and one or two effects sends. Use each
of those for an independent headphone mix for each person.

Instant infinitively-variable, zero-latency multi-mix monitoring
solution, with zero added complexity, and no added equipment. Each
person also has instant access to their effects pedals, and not have to
line up for their turn in front of the monitor/mouse to add a bit of
treble to their guitar.

I just hate adding so much unnecessary complexity to things. When I
want to practice, I want to be able to concentrate on playing, not
struggle with equipment all night.