[LAU] Rosegarden -> lilypond help

From: gene heskett <gheskett@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Dec 16 2011 - 00:02:27 EET

Greetings everybody, midi folks in particular;

I have a .mid file that plays using the wrong instruments because it was
composed before GM.

Sent to the built in synth in an audigy2, it plays at normal speed but
wrong instruments.

Loaded into rosegarden (to fix this), it plays at about 1/100th speed.
This doesn't surprise me too much as the originating program dates to 1991
on a TRS-80 Color Computer 3 & GM was something we only got in the then
brand new Sound Canvas's and such. Obviously something in the header
doesn't meet .mid file specs. I did change the internal name from .ume to
.mid in a hex editor, and reloaded but other than the track title now
showing the correct string, no other effect.

In an effort to see what might be wrong, I fired up the print preview which
uses lilypond to generate the 'sheet' music. But from the looks of it, its
going to use 80% of all 4 cores of this phenom for several hours to render,
probably because of this same time error, (transport says its like nearly 3
hours long, but its a bit over 3 mins in actual play time) so the generated
pdf is likely to be 40Gb!

Does anyone know enough about this to tell me where, in rosegarden, to fix
this? Or do I need the hex editor again? Or, heaven forbid, its a bug in
rosegarden (shudder).

Thanks midi folks.

Cheers, Gene

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
It would seem that evil retreats when forcibly confronted.
		-- Yarnek of Excalbia, "The Savage Curtain", stardate
5906.5