Re: [LAU] qjackctl and ubuntu 11.10 unity

From: Ralf Madorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Wed Dec 28 2011 - 12:34:43 EET

On Wed, 2011-12-28 at 10:51 +0100, hermann wrote:
> What I didn't like in your previous post is the totalitär attitude you
> use do describe what professional audio have to be.
> Please, be aware that others could have other way's to get stuff done.
> What today seems to be the best way, didn't must be tomorrow true.
> The modular work-flow under linux is (and now because jack is MULTI OS
> COMPATIBLE, was) unique under the OS's, and have some big advance over
> the AIO flow witch is the way to do stuff like you said.

Full ACK, but my claim still is
"Everybody should be able to go from one studio to the next and know how
to handle the equipment. The approach off pro-audio is to keep things
easy for the engineer.

Applications like Ardour and Qtractor come closer and closer to this
approach. The policy of several apps + a session handler is a step in
the wrong direction."

Tinkerer do amazing music. I'm tinker my self, AT HOME!

> To see that, you need to free up your mind from oldish ways.

That's not the point. I do this for home recording.

For hardware we have unwritten standards, e.g. what should be pre and
what should be post fader for a mixing console. A mixing console that
has another way to do things could be very good, but it isn't regarding
to usability for pro-audio.

You know the sentence of the office mob? "If I'm not at work, nobody
would be able to do the work." They say this with proud, instead of
being ashamed.

For pro-audio you need to make it idiotproof.
Pro-audio means to do good recordings, for "normal" music.

Working modular with electronics and computers is something I do myself.
This is part of some compositions. Hopefully it's on a high level ;),
but a high level anyway has less to do with professional work for daily
bread.

Regarding to DEs the Linux community claimed that Windows was
"klickibunti" de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klickibunti already wit 98, and XP.
Correct, but what the hell is KDE4, GNOME3, Unity. The same people tody
tend to claim similar to "To see that, you need to free up your mind
from oldish ways."

What I do at home sometimes is completely different to what it's needed
for pro-audio (sometimes there's no diff ;).

- Ralf