Re: [LAU] OS for realtime operation

From: michael noble <looplog@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 10 2012 - 02:47:16 EET

On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 11:24 PM, Moshe Werner <moshwe@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> I would like to hear your opinions on what distro is solid for audio work
> and has a reliable rt kernel.
> Also I would appreciate if you could explain the degree of difficulty and
> learning curve of the specific distro.

I used openSuse for a few years, from the early JAD days up to version
11.3, when the situation with sporadic updates to audio apps finally
convinced me to shop around. After trying Ubuntu for a while, I finally
settled on Arch. There is a learning curve, mostly due to differences in
package management and Arch's emphasis on centralized text based config
files, but for me the transition made much easier by the documentation in
the wiki, and the forums are generally very helpful and active. There are
packages for the RT kernel available or you can compile from very easy to
follow build scripts. The rolling release is great and most audio apps are
available as build scripts. This has allowed me to keep my own repo of
packages which I use to keep a consistent installation environment across
three machines, while I run Ubuntu on my netbook for convenience sake.

Short story: happy ex-openSuse current Arch user here.

-m