[LAU] OS for realtime operation

From: Moshe Werner <moshwe@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 09 2012 - 16:24:00 EET

Hi everyone,

after many years of studio work using the openSuse distro with the
kernel-rt from Jan Engelhard it seems that he no longer continues his great
work on rt kernels.
Being more on the recording engineer side of things and not a Linux expert
(user yes, expert no) I really fret at the thought of patching and
compiling my own kernel package.

I would like to hear your opinions on what distro is solid for audio work
and has a reliable rt kernel.
Also I would appreciate if you could explain the degree of difficulty and
learning curve of the specific distro.

My system:
Intel i7 950
Gigabyte motherboard
6 Gb ram
Rme HDSP 9652 audio interface

Appreciate your answers.

Moshe

P.S. I tried to use Ubuntu on the same machine I use openSuse 11.2 on and
got pretty bad results regarding latency and x runs on jack 2.