Re: [LAU] OS for realtime operation

From: Carlos sanchiavedraz <csanchezgs@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jan 11 2012 - 16:37:04 EET

2012/1/9 Moshe Werner <moshwe@email-addr-hidden>

> Hi everyone,
>
> after many years of studio work using the openSuse distro with the
> kernel-rt from Jan Engelhard it seems that he no longer continues his great
> work on rt kernels.
> Being more on the recording engineer side of things and not a Linux expert
> (user yes, expert no) I really fret at the thought of patching and
> compiling my own kernel package.
>
> I would like to hear your opinions on what distro is solid for audio work
> and has a reliable rt kernel.
> Also I would appreciate if you could explain the degree of difficulty and
> learning curve of the specific distro.
>
> My system:
> Intel i7 950
> Gigabyte motherboard
> 6 Gb ram
> Rme HDSP 9652 audio interface
>
> Appreciate your answers.
>
> Moshe
>
> P.S. I tried to use Ubuntu on the same machine I use openSuse 11.2 on and
> got pretty bad results regarding latency and x runs on jack 2.

Hi Moshe.

Given that I'm involved in the team, I would say give a try to Musix [1].
We're now working on version 3 beta, so you may want to try Musix 2
downloading the live CD or the USB version (this way you can have a look
without installing anything on your computer) until v3 is published.
I have to tell you that Musix v3 it's going to be a great jump forward
compared to v2.

Musix always put an eye on non experienced users, and it's of course RT an
all those great things that linux distros have (actually Musix is based on
Debian)

To add some more choice to those great responses here in this thread, a
would mention KXstudio[2]. I liked it when I tested some time ago, nice and
well finished.

Regards

[1] http://www.musix.org.ar/en/index.html
* download Musix 2 and others: http://www.musix.org.ar/en/download.html