Re: [LAU] Q: educational websites/books on comp. audio/recording in general

From: Chris Metzler <cmetzler@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 13 2012 - 17:10:02 EET

On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 07:00:32 -0800
Harry van Haaren <harryhaaren@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> There's a lot of resources out there: also on a lot of different
> angles of audio engineering.
> What is is that your trying to do / learn?

The basics of the technical aspects. I recently posted here trying to
clear up some questions I had come across in researching what audio
interface I'd wanna get. People's responses gave me new questions, and
I realized that there was a lot I didn't know and needed to. For
instance, I don't feel like I know enough to discriminate between
options for guitar/mic preamps or DI boxes. I know that some mics need
48V phantom power, but I don't know why. That sort of thing.

And I'm reluctant to keep mining the users of this mailing list for
answers to questions for two reasons. One is that it's a little
off-topic, since I'm not really asking about *Linux* audio, but just
audio. The other reason is that I come from a tradition where you
don't ask other people questions about technical stuff until you've
made an effort to learn about it and figure it out on your own (out of
respect for other people's time as well as the higher education value
of trying to get it yourself first).

Thanks!

-c

--