Re: [LAU] bitwig announcement

From: Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 15 2012 - 14:11:13 EET

On 01/15/2012 02:35 AM, Nils wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 20:38:58 +0100
> Jeremy Jongepier<jeremy@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
>> On 01/13/2012 05:16 PM, Renato wrote:
>>> Hi, someone might be interested in this news:
>>>
>>> http://www.ubuntuvibes.com/2012/01/bitwig-professional-music-creation.html
>>>
>>> Some developers of Ableton Live have announced this new software,
>>> Bitwig, which seems will have a Linux version.
>>>
>>> cheers,
>>> renato
>>
>> Exciting but also kind of scary. It seems as if everyone is using
>> Ableton Live these days. What if a very similar application becomes
>> available for Linux?
>
> Just today Harry van Haaren announced this on LAD:
>
> http://harryhaaren.blogspot.com/2012/01/luppp-source-opened-but-still-pre-alpha.html

Yup, I've seen it. I've seen Luppp evolve from the very beginning, when
Harry showed me his first ideas during LAC2010.
And about the scary part, news like this brings up questions for me.
What kind of users will it attract? How many users will switch and drop
software like Ardour and Qtractor? The Linux audio is a very small niche
and even though it's a very hypothetical thought, software like Bitwig
could damage the Linux audio ecosystem.
But maybe I'm thinking too much ahead. Maybe Bitwig will run directly on
top of ALSA, or even use something like PortAudio. And it will most
likely not support LV2.

Best,

Jeremy