Re: [LAU] bitwig announcement

From: Hartmut Noack <zettberlin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 16 2012 - 02:03:34 EET

Am 15.01.2012 14:05, schrieb Alexandre Prokoudine:
> On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 4:11 PM, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
>
>> And about the scary part, news like this brings up questions for me. What
>> kind of users will it attract? How many users will switch and drop software
>> like Ardour and Qtractor?
>
> I know I'm not going to make any friends with such a statement, but
> what is the problem with dropping "software like Ardour and Qtractor"?
>
> If you are musician in the first place, then it's a matter of what
> works best for you.

If you are a musician, you are an artist in the first place. Artists
make decisions: what do I want to do and how. As an artist you follow
visions and concepts, you read and write manifests, you want to change
the world. Or you are just another not-so-seriously involved hobbyist.

The latter is not a crime, it is good to have people in the neighborhood
that are hobbyists in music.

But anyway as an artist you make decisions that are related to you plans
regarding changing of the world etc. And if one makes the decision, that
using free licensed software excluselivly to make music, than this is an
artist decision.

It is the same as choosing the instruments you want to have in the band
or that you never ever want to have a real drummer or that you never
ever want to have guest-musicians.

To choose is to exclude and if you choose to exclude nothing then you
choose to exclude exclusion.

> If you are geek in the first place,

Nothing of that is "geek" in any way, it is just execution of the holy
right to choose at will that is the birth-right of anyone who considers
him/herself an artist.

> then there's
> no way you will abandon free software, so what's the problem? :)
>
> We are talking about competition which is a natural thing. Rosegarden
> can lose users to MusE or Qtractor. Qtractor can lose users to Ardour.
> It happens all the time. Can you see any of the developers crying,
> because they are all alone? :)

In this I am with you. The more choice the better. I will stay with the
  software from free projects I will continue to promote it and use it
exclusivly. But anyway Bitwig seems to be a great software and if there
are 2 or 3 people switching to Linux because they can use it on Linux
natively, I consider it perfectly good for the ecosystem.

Well, as long as our new friends blend into the ecosystem of Jack LV2
and so on. Linux DSP is proprietary but perfectly integrated and thus it
helps to make Linux Audio better.

If Bitwig does the same as good, I heartly welcome them (though I would
not use it...).