Re: [LAU] help for a LAUer wannabe

From: mn0 <mn0@email-addr-hidden-up.de>
Date: Mon Feb 06 2012 - 17:36:11 EET

Am 06.02.2012 13:33, schrieb Renato:
> Hi, I've got a friend who would like to try out linux for audio and
> he's asking me for help. He's totally new to linux and it's been a
> while since I've used super-begginner's documentation, so I'm asking
> you for help.
>
> So, what distro should I reccomend him? is Ubuntu Studio 64 maintained
> and well documented? Or better go with vanilla Ubuntu?
> I know many like AVLinux, but I guess for a total newbie Ubuntu is
> safer since it's easier to find docs online and help when you get stuck
> with something (and sooner or later that happens when learning a new
> OS).
>
> Passed that, I'd like to point him to some good not-outdated
> docs, bonus points if in italian. For starters a little
> simple guide on setting up Qjackctl, maybe with screenshots, would be
> gold.
>
> Generally speaking, if you have any suggestions of things I should or
> should not tell him, you're more than welcome.
>
> BTW currently I think he's using fruity loops on windows.
>
> Also, a while ago I had found an italian forum on linux audio, but now
> I've lost it - anyone has a link?
>
> cheers,
> renato

I'd say depends on what you focus:
As an introduction to linux in general, I would recommend using
Ubuntustudio. General topics are very well documented and help and
information is available via wiki, forum, irc etc.
The possibility of making a lau system is also given, but details will
have to be optimized manually. This can be quite time consuming and even
a little frustrating, depending on your friends' level of tolerance.
Plug and play often works but not perfect. Via synaptic or other package
management, there are hundreds of audio applications, half of which
won't work out of the box. Also you have to accept the update policy of
ubuntu, which is: every half year, a new version is released, in between
only bugs are fixed. Every two years, a long term stable version is
released. This version offers security updates for a longer period of
time, AFAIK 5 years. So depending on your choice, every 2 or half year,
you get a new version, which will almost certainly have new bugs.

If the focus is towards professional audio production, other distros
might be more appropriate. There's a long thread titled "OS for realtime
operation" in this list, that discusses the pros and cons, of other distros.

/mn0