Re: [LAU] iPad and Linux audio

From: carmen <_@email-addr-hidden-your.name>
Date: Tue Feb 07 2012 - 03:13:26 EET

> Although Samsung have done their best to try to keep that flame burning on Android platform

imo Android for Samsung is a pragmatic choice based on volume. much like their fabbing/sale of chips for Apple

samsung has recently dropped an entire OS worth of source as'Tizen' which is basically the desktop linux stack (xorg+Enlightenment) adapted for Mobile with an additional webOS like API for 'apps' in HTML5.

it remains to be seen whether Tizen devices are ever released, and whether non-JS apps will be relegated to jailbreaky enthusiast-tweakerness only or allowed into the app stores. but between that, HP still showing some interest in WebOS, and Nokia apparently still working on "Meltemi" their own take on the age-old maemo/moblin/meego linux-mobile thing ,i think we can hope for more devices in the future

anywyas i think with commoditization we'll be able to purchase fully functional ARM tablet or phone-sized devices from AliExpress/Ebay/DealExtreme within a few years that are fully functional in vanilla-linux and Debian for quite cheap, even if those more recognizable brands never release any Tizen/Meltemi devices