Re: [LAU] iPad and Linux audio

From: Harry van Haaren <harryhaaren@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 07 2012 - 03:01:21 EET

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 12:29 AM, Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hiddenwrote:

> take a listen to lou reed's metal machine music or pat metheny's zero
> tolerance for silence or any of boyd rice's stuff and then imagine
> that its the first demo you ever came across of this crazy new thing
> they call an "electric guitar". next you'd be telling me that the
> guitar is not usable as a way to make music that people want to hear

Without having watched the videos you mention: I've had that "oh cooool"
response to a lot of the mobile / tablet apps, I've never yet had the
"wauw, that will be useful to me to create better music" response. Then
again I own a normal phone, and no tablet. Maybe a bit more exposure would
get me hooked.

@Leigh:
Point taken about the "played on the radio".
In a sense what society thinks about the music I create doesn't really make
a difference either: What matters is if it sounds like I want it to. If it
does, I'm happy. If it doesn't, then I'll either work on it more, or get
frustrated. My experience of touch-interfaces (bar hardware xy controllers)
has been pretty frustrating, hence I don't want to use them :)

Making music is the reason that I code, the reason that I use the
interfaces I do, to try and achieve my goals. If the interface doesn't
support me *creatively*, I'm not going to want to use it. That's actually
the reason that I'm not currently using Ableton Live, its workflow doesn't
match the way I would like to create music (although it's w/flow is much
closer than most other software)

Regarding the predictablity: I don't understand why somebody would use that
tool to create the noises they did. So I did assume that the tool isn't
providing the output they hoped for. Perhaps I should assume its *exactly*
what they wanted. Either way the tool will reproduce the same output given
the same input: I'm not doubting the software's capabilites. But I'm
talking about interfaces here. Did the user have enough control while
interacting to achieve what they wanted? I dont think so, but I could well
be wrong.

I'll try get some touchscreen time and see where that takes me :) -Harry