Re: [LAU] Have some free music!

From: alexander <axeldenstore@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Feb 09 2012 - 14:23:16 EET

> Hi Alex.
>
> I'm just listening to the downloaded album and I'm totally agree with
> the other LAU folks, the album is really good: a tasty mix of Jazz,
> experimentation and even a little progressive at times (ie the sound
> of the Mellotron on track 5).
> I think this won't be the last time I listen to it.
>
> So, you have already list the gear you used to record. BTW, very clean
> and professional recording. I would like to know something about how
> was the process to the final mix, given that you played it all and it
> seems in different (maybe distant) points in time.
>
> Thanks for sharing.
>
> --
> Carlos sanchiavedraz
> * Musix GNU+Linux
> http://www.musix.es

There's not really much to it actually.. I haven't put way too much time
in the mixing/mastring process.. just the usual of getting things to fit
compression, eq, and some automatation... In the stuka song I have only
a h4n as overheads + kick and snare but no tom mics so the sound stands
out alitle from the rest on that song.. I allways emphasize the 1100hz
region on the uprightbass to give more of that buzzy sound, I'm using
the 4-band parametric eq... I've been refence listening alot to The Bad
Plus as this is the band that has inspired me the most lately.. I use
the same panning idea they've got on most of their songs, eg bass and
piano to the sides and the drums !everywhere! -_- It really separates
things! I also make use of the ir-lv2 plug alot, mostly for room
emulation and reverbs.. I record the drums in a bad sounding, boxy
garage so I put the OH's quite close to the drums and use room emulation
instead.. as for mastering I really just try to get the levels sort of
the same with a limiter...