Re: [LAU] Have some free music!

From: Carlos sanchiavedraz <csanchezgs@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Feb 10 2012 - 11:11:00 EET

2012/2/9 alexander <axeldenstore@email-addr-hidden>

> Sometimes I've thought about buying a Zoom H4n (or another similar) just
>> for the same goal: recording stereo overheads along with 1 mic for snare
>> and 1 for kick (3 mics technique). Now I know it works, and quite well as I
>> can see. BTW, very useful that tip of using room emulation with close
>> overheads.
>>
>> Thanks for the extended info.
>>
>> --
>> Carlos sanchiavedraz
>> * Musix GNU+Linux
>> http://www.musix.es
>>

> It works, it's a little bit clusmy.. And the pres/converters have terrible
> dynamic range so if you play loud on the snare you'll clip it at lowest
> gain, imo it's not really noticable tho.. it has some limiting function but
> ifaik they're post ADC so they're not really usable as a clipping
> safeguard. It's noise floor is also quite high so it's not suitable for
> recording low SPL sounds in a quiet envoirment. You'll easily get away with
> an acoustic guitar tho. Nonetheless, it's a handy little device, comes with
> a hardcase and fits in a pocket..

Good to know those things. Thanks

> Also I believe (at least the time I bought mine) the h4n was/is the only
> device that has simultaneous 4 channel record function.. so if you look
> into these things don't assume 4channels just because it has onboard mics
> and 2mic inputs for external mics.

At the beginning I thought every device similar to H4n (pocket recorders)
could record all the inputs at the same time, but later I noticed that
there are some that had a limited number of channels to record at once, 2
normally.
It's great to be able to record 3 or 4, you could record 2 OH, snare and
kick just with a little device. It's not the best, but definitively is very
useful.

Maybe nowadays there is another device that can handle 4 inputs and has
better recording quality.

--
Carlos sanchiavedraz
* Musix GNU+Linux