[LAU] CLIJACK -- new release

From: Aaron Krister Johnson <aaron@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Feb 23 2012 - 21:25:34 EET

Greetings fellow Linux audio folk,

Some unknown handful of you (Julien Classen for sure at one point) may have
used 'jackctl.py' for CLI starting of a JACK server and making JACK
connections.

I've now renamed the project 'CLIJACK' because it appears there's an
unrelated script called 'jackctl.py' in the sources for JACK itself, and I
wanted to avoid any confusion. CLIJACK is a little Python app that serves
as a user-friendly command-line frontend to jackd, jack_connect, and
aconnect. It allows one to quickly and efficiently connect jack ports, alsa
midi ports, jack midi ports, etc. in the manner of QjackCtl, but without
the GUI, and the possible bloat of the packages required by the same. Good
for lean 'n mean systems, etc.

So, CLIJACK is now being released, new title, a bit of new code...I did
some code cleanup today, the biggest changes being:

* From CLIJACK, the jackd server itself can be launched via an environment
variable, CLIJACK_COMMAND. Using this, one can start or stop the server
from within CLIJACK via the 's' command. This of course was the same in
'jackctl.py', however, one had to edit the 'jackctl.py' script itself to
change the jackd command; now, it's modular and removed into the user's
environment.

* Non-critical alerts from jackd do not interrupt the interface of CLIJACK
anymore (example: missing libffado, etc.)

* More sensible killing of the jack server from within CLIJACK, including
sending a killall message....

* More use of newlines to make multi-lined messages prettier and cleaner.

I will eventually get the project correctly packaged onto the Python apps
listings, and sourceforge, etc., but for now, you can download the script
directly from my site if you're interested:

http://www.akjmusic.com/software/clijack-20120223.py

I'd love feedback!

Aaron Krister Johnson
http://www.akjmusic.com