Re: [LAU] CLIJACK -- new release

From: Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Feb 23 2012 - 22:15:00 EET

On 02/23/2012 08:25 PM, Aaron Krister Johnson wrote:
> Greetings fellow Linux audio folk,
>
> Some unknown handful of you (Julien Classen for sure at one point) may have
> used 'jackctl.py' for CLI starting of a JACK server and making JACK
> connections.
>
> I've now renamed the project 'CLIJACK' because it appears there's an
> unrelated script called 'jackctl.py' in the sources for JACK itself, and I
> wanted to avoid any confusion. CLIJACK is a little Python app that serves
> as a user-friendly command-line frontend to jackd, jack_connect, and
> aconnect. It allows one to quickly and efficiently connect jack ports, alsa
> midi ports, jack midi ports, etc. in the manner of QjackCtl, but without
> the GUI, and the possible bloat of the packages required by the same. Good
> for lean 'n mean systems, etc.
>
> So, CLIJACK is now being released, new title, a bit of new code...I did
> some code cleanup today, the biggest changes being:
>
> * From CLIJACK, the jackd server itself can be launched via an environment
> variable, CLIJACK_COMMAND. Using this, one can start or stop the server
> from within CLIJACK via the 's' command. This of course was the same in
> 'jackctl.py', however, one had to edit the 'jackctl.py' script itself to
> change the jackd command; now, it's modular and removed into the user's
> environment.
>
> * Non-critical alerts from jackd do not interrupt the interface of CLIJACK
> anymore (example: missing libffado, etc.)
>
> * More sensible killing of the jack server from within CLIJACK, including
> sending a killall message....
>
> * More use of newlines to make multi-lined messages prettier and cleaner.
>
> I will eventually get the project correctly packaged onto the Python apps
> listings, and sourceforge, etc., but for now, you can download the script
> directly from my site if you're interested:
>
> http://www.akjmusic.com/software/clijack-20120223.py
>
> I'd love feedback!

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for keeping it up. I'm one of the unknown handful and excited
about clijack. Copy/pasting jack_lsp; jack_connect is no fun. An
efficient and ergonomic terminal jack-connection manager is near the top
of my LA wishlist.

running clijack on debian fails with

/usr/bin/python2: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/python-policy/ch-programs.html
-> "#!/usr/bin/pythonX.Y" (I settled on python2.6)
Others may also have it in /usr/local/ or somewhere. I dunno what the
most practical way is for x-distribution compatibility is.

Otherwise clijack-20120223.py works as advertised.

What nags me however is that connections show up twice (similar to
'jack_lsp -c') It is not obvious which of them is the input and which
the output client ('jack_lsp -c -p'). It's be great if clijack could
group the ports or make in/out ports obvious.

excerpt:
CLIJACK(audio)--> l
0) system:capture_1
   4) ploop:playback_1
[..]
4) ploop:playback_1
   0) system:capture_1
[..]

That's jackdmp 1.9.8; but I don't think that matters.

Some brainstorm, feature request: group connect (stereo or more) and
port-name completion.

"c mpl sys" would connect
 mplayer [*]:out_1 -> system:playback_1
 mplayer [*]:out_2 -> system:playback_2

"d ard:aud sys" would disconnect all ardour auditioner ports from any
system port.

best,
robin