Re: [LAU] Simple hardware & software for digitizing analog audio recordings

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 07 2012 - 11:08:31 EET

On 03/06/2012 09:23 AM, Adam wrote:
> Clemens Ladisch wrote:
>>> Anything that would fit into that PCIe x16 slot or a USB port --
>>> I just need something that will accept line-level stereo inputs.
>>> I'm hoping to find something decent in the US $40-80 range, new or used.
>> There aren't many PCIe sound cards; the cheapest is the Xonar DX, which
>> is slightly above this range when new, but has an excellent ADC.
>>
>> USB devices tend to cost more than comparable cards, but there are
>> stereo recording interfaces where you don't have to pay for 7.1 outputs
>> or a Dolby Digital license. Such devices would be, e.g., the Behringer
>> UCA202 (which is cheap) or the Roland/Cakewalk UA-1G (which is not).
>
> Thanks, Clemens! I don't care whether the ADC is PCIe or USB, as long as
> it does what I need at an affordable price. Either interface should
> still be usable on my next computer system (low-end desktop, probably
> later this year).

Hmm, for some reason I thought you were looking only for USB devices. If
PCI is an option (is PCIe backwards compatible?), Audiophile 2496 is a
very good card for what you want to do. More expensive UCA-202, but not
as expensive as the UA-1G, IIRC. Works very well with Linux.

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden