Re: [LAU] HW Synth editor in a virtual machine ?

From: Steffen Klein <steffen@email-addr-hidden-network.de>
Date: Wed Mar 07 2012 - 11:11:30 EET

Hi

I use the editors for Korg X50 and Line6 PocketPOD under wine without problems.
On the other hand the software for the Nord Stage2 runs under wine but
then doesn't detect the hardware, so the solution here would be a
virtualbox-installation.
=> If you can get it to run under wine all is fine. If not, the
fallback solution will be a virtualbox installation.

Regards,
Steffen

2012/3/7 Emiliano Grilli <emiliano.grilli@gmail.com>:
> jonetsu <jonetsu@teksavvy.com> writes:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>>   Do these softwares that comes with hardware synths to help editing
>> sounds usually work inside a Virtual Box (or VmWare) virtual machine ?
>> The idea is to run Virtual Box on Linux (Virtual Box with a version of
>> Windows) for those times when editing sounds is required.
>> Specifically, this would be for the KORG Microstation that I'm
>> considering getting.  The connection is made via USB so it should be
>> easy I presume to let a USB connection reach Virtual Box.  KORG also
>> has some sort of (VST ?) plug-in although that might be more
>> complicated to get working with Ardour/Wine.  If not, let me know.  or,
>> would it run straight under wine w/o the need of a full VM ?  I wonder.
>>
>> Anyone using such software ?  Any comments appreciated, thanks.
>

> I don't know for microstation, but I used the nanokontrol editor under
> wine and it works fine. Also the Roland GSAE (General standard advanced
> editor) for my sound canvas works fine in wine.
>
> HTH
> Ciao
>
> --
> Emiliano Grilli