Re: [LAU] help for building new desktop pc

From: Brett McCoy <idragosani@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 12 2012 - 16:19:09 EET

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 10:06 AM, Renato <rennabh@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Mar 2012 07:54:13 -0800
> october001@email-addr-hidden wrote:
>
>> I've been running an maudio delta 44 internal sound card for years,
>> moving it from one pc to the next as I upgrade.  Probably not the
>> cheapest card out the but not the most expensive either!  Very low
>> latencies were obtainable (without xruns) even on my earliest single
>> CPU machines.  Running it now on a 64 bit quadcore amd I built and
>> I've never thought about replacing it.
>>
>> I've never overclocked any of my machines, even for gaming purposes.
>>
>> I experiment a lot but tend to stay around some sort of debian/ubuntu
>> (or mint) hybrid, usually with a hand rolled rt kernel.  A yamaha 4
>> channel mixer and an maudio midi 4x4 has allowed me to mix hardware
>> synths with soft in a loaded ardour setup quite effectively.
>>

> Thanks Jon for replying. May I ask what type of audio work you do with
> your system, and what brings it to its limit?

I've done audio work using a 32-bit Dell XPS machine with only 2G of
RAM and stock Ubuntu Studio kernel... I mixed several 30+ track
sessions of orchestral material with MixBus (and several plugins
running, like LV2 IR) and while it did tax the system, it never went
down nor did it generate any xruns while mixing. If you are running
samplers or doing live work with monitoring (which should always be
done with hardware), your needs may be higher.

--
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com