Re: [LAU] help for building new desktop pc

From: Jon H <october001@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 12 2012 - 17:17:22 EET

Hi Renato,

I lean more towards mastering and production and for the last year or
two I've been using the system more for testing DIY speakers than
actual music work... I'm not much of a musician myself but on
occasion I have used the card for what it was intended, mixing a live
mic, hardware synth and my son's electric guitar (and soft drum kit)
each into their own track without any problems. I once ran several
hardware synths into a single Ardour channel with a keyboard
controller handling multiple soft synths over MIDI. This was years
ago on a single CPU 32 bit system with 1GB of RAM... audio tracks
from the hard synth (or other) were no problem but I occasionally got
xruns trying to record them with various soft synths at the same time.
 I think this was more a CPU/RAM limitation rather than the sound
card. Today I have the card in a 64 bit quad core AMD with 16GB of
RAM and although I no longer have my hard synths to play with the soft
ones I run never create a problem, even pushing 6+ real time tracks at
the same time, audio I/O via the delta for monitoring. The cards
biggest limitation is that the breakout box is limited to 4x4 i/o
which upgrading to one of the "larger" models would alleviate.

Best,

Jon