Re: [LAU] midi file editing

From: Lorenzo Sutton <lorenzofsutton@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 16 2012 - 12:41:23 EET

Hi,

On 14/03/12 13:41, Rustom Mody wrote:
> The attached file is a Bach fugue midi I found somewhere on the net.
> When I import it into nted it shows alright (ignoring sharp flat mixups)
> When I import it into musescore the entire bass is replicated into the
> treble clef.
>
> Asking on the musescore lists I get that the problem is with the midi
> file http://musescore.org/en/node/15501
That is correct. Whoever (or whatever) sequenced that did (for some
reason) strange things. I agree with Neils who suggested be *very*
cautious with midi found on the net. I would add: otherwise accept the
fact you'll have to work on it quite a bit. Ideally you should have at
least a scanning of the original source.
> I am recommended to use sequencing software to cleanup before importing.
> What such software should I try to use?
> [I am asking this after wrestling with rosegarden for an hour or so
> and getting no sound]
With Rosegarden (as in most sequencers) you have 2 options to 'make sound':
1. Load a soundfont in Rosegarden by:
- assigning a 'Synth Plugin' as a device to the tracks
- select the Fluidsynth DSSI plugin (which has to be installed on your
system)
- From the fluidsynth interface you then pick a sf2 sound.

2. Connect Rosegarden's 'General Midi' output to an external synth (e.g.
Qsynth, Linuxsampler) baring in mind that Rosegarden will only connect
through alsa midi, so if your synth only does jack midi you need to use
a bridge like aj2 (as Paul already suggested).

Unless I have to do quick listening (e.g. of a MIDI file) I prefer
option 2, because it leaves the .rg file more portable. E.g. if you save
a file with the fluidsynth plugin and you try to open it on a system
where it is not installed Rosegarden will complain. Additionally option
1. is very limiting in that you cannot have multiple midi instruments
per soundfont.

Anyway, I think you were on the right track with trying to use
Rosegarden for the MIDI and notation, because as a sequencer it has very
nice notation support and pretty decent lilypond export. Your Mileage
May Vary.

Lorenzo.