Re: [LAU] Ubuntu Studio

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 18 2012 - 23:54:29 EET

On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 5:24 PM, Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> I wish I knew what platforms the LAD folks use for development.  That
> might sway my own decision about what distribution(s) to run.  I'm
> not after any endorsement.  But, one would think that bugs would be
> found and fixed first on the development system.

i don't fix bugs in my distro. i generally don't even report them. in
fact, i rarely find them because i'm a developer, not a user. in
addition, i've been using fedora/redhat for 13+ years, so there's
rarely any "new-to-me" issues. i just don't think that the distro i
use is relevant. i might switch to AVLinux, I might not. fedora hasn't
been great, it hasn't been terrible. you'd have much more information
knowing what *hardware* i use, but since it doesn't actually perform
very well for audio it wouldn't be all that useful.

>  I wish CCRMA was a
> little better maintained.  It seems like wholly worthwhile direction.

there's nothing wrong with CCRMA maintainance. what has happened with
CCRMA is that the overwhelming majority of what fernando used to do
(packaging apps) has moved into Fedora itself. that just leaves a few
basic tasks which fedora doesn't do and fernando does (primarily
building an RT-PREEMPT kernel).