Re: [LAU] Ubuntu Studio

From: Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 19 2012 - 00:32:25 EET

On 18 March 2012 at 17:54, Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 5:24 PM, Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> >
> > I wish I knew what platforms the LAD folks use for
> > development. That might sway my own decision about what
> > distribution(s) to run. I'm not after any endorsement. But,
> > one would think that bugs would be found and fixed first on
> > the development system.
>
> i don't fix bugs in my distro. i generally don't even report
> them. in fact, i rarely find them because i'm a developer, not
> a user.

I can see how I was too ambiguous in my comment. What I meant
was that if I could have an exact replica of a developer's
system, that I wouldn't run into very many bugs in the audio
application being developed on that system because they'd
presumably be found and fixed on that system first. If my system
is very far removed compared to what's being used for testing,
then I could be the only one to experience it, making it hard to
find, much less fix.

> in addition, i've been using fedora/redhat for 13+ years, so
> there's rarely any "new-to-me" issues. i just don't think that
> the distro i use is relevant. i might switch to AVLinux, I
> might not. fedora hasn't been great, it hasn't been terrible.
> you'd have much more information knowing what *hardware* i use,
> but since it doesn't actually perform very well for audio it
> wouldn't be all that useful.
>
> > I wish CCRMA was a little better maintained. It seems like
> > wholly worthwhile direction.
>
> there's nothing wrong with CCRMA maintainance. what has
> happened with CCRMA is that the overwhelming majority of what
> fernando used to do (packaging apps) has moved into Fedora
> itself. that just leaves a few basic tasks which fedora doesn't
> do and fernando does (primarily building an RT-PREEMPT kernel).

Your CCRMA comments are really good news to me. I'd mistaken
inactivity with lack of maintenance. It's very nice to hear that
it's more lack of need for maintenance. The RT-PREEMPT kernel is
a nice thing for sure.

So, what components of a system are most relevant for
compatibility between developers and users? I'd suspect these
would be pretty important: kernel, glibc, ALSA, JACK. What else?

Thanks....

--
Kevin