Re: [LAU] OT: releasing music under Creative Commons

From: Folderol <folderol@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Apr 06 2012 - 09:34:10 EEST

On Thu, 5 Apr 2012 19:02:20 -0700
Kris Calabio <kriscalabio@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 8:17 AM, Burkhard Wölfel <versuchsanstalt@gmx.de>wrote:
>

> > Am 03.04.2012 um 01:06 schrieb Kris Calabio <kriscalabio@gmail.com>:
> >

> > I'm sure a lot of you have experience distributing your music under a
> >> Creative Commons license so I'd like some of your thoughts. My band
> >> finished recording a full length album recently, and we are planning on
> >> releasing it under CC-BY-NC-SA.
> >>

> > Maybe you should advertise the option to relicense cc-by-sa for
> > alternative radio stations or people publishing compilations. NC can be a
> > showstopper there.
> >
> > All the best for your band effort!
> >
> > - Burkhard
>

> How would that be a showstopper? Wouldn't they just need our permission?
> Or is there some complicated legal stuff that I'm missing?
>
> -Kris

CC is a non-exclusive license, so in fact it doesn't stop you making
alternative arrangements for commercial purposes. Unfortunately lots of people
don't realise that so shy away from CC-NC material.

You could always have something like:

CC-BY-NC-SA (other licensing available on request)

HTH

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk