Re: [LAU] poll : Advertising vs Linux Audio

From: Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Apr 22 2012 - 14:52:19 EEST

On 04/22/2012 12:12 PM, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> On Sun, April 22, 2012 11:24 am, Robin Gareus wrote:
>> On 04/22/2012 11:15 AM, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>>
>>> I'm still not sure why you don't want businesses to give people round
>>> here
>>> money.
>>
>> Not at all. "people 'round here" can take all the money they want from
>> anyone for whatever they deem fit.
>>
>> but linuxaudio.org itself will have a hard time. Usually money comes
>> with obligations and we are in no position to handle that properly.
>>

> Maybe I am naive but I thought our obligation as a consortium was to
> discuss these topics and come to a workable solution that benefits all
> members.

just take it in stride. -- Your obligation as member of the management
board is also to meet with the others at least once a year :) [ see 2.
at http://linuxaudio.org/policy ]

>> Currently there is no flow of money in or out of linuxaudio.org - it's
>> all volunteer work and hosting is sponsored by vt.edu.
>>
>>> Are you also advocating the idea that *no one* should make money
>>> from Linux Audio?
>>
>> certainly not.
>>
>>> Are you also adverse to all forms of advertising in relation to Linux
>>> Audio?
>>
>> Personally, I'm averse against all forms of advertising :)
>>

> That's interesting. So how do you feel about for example, Google? A Linux
> focused company that makes the bulk of it's revenue from advertising, that
> contributes a significant amount of money to open source development and
> even employs members of this the Linux Audio Community. They also happen
> to be one of the largest companies in the tech world.

We're getting a bit OT here, but it's fun to get known to each other,
isn't it..

google: as long as they don't mind me using Adblock, it's live and let
live. -- I turned down some job offers there for various reasons.

> Would you prefer Redhat not to advertise and promote to allow them to
> achieve billions of dollars in sales? They also provide a significant
> amount of financial support to members of this community not to mention
> their contributions to the Kernel.

RedHat is doing a fine job. But different rules apply: linuxaudio.org is
a community site, RedHat is a company. Apples and Oranges.

> How about Ubuntu? Should Mark Shuttelworth feel sorry for advertising the
> viability of the ubuntu experience?

My "ubuntu experience" is a rather sad story. I recommend to most PPL
not to use Ubuntu.

> Should they stop marketing and promotions?

yes, I'd very much prefer that.

> What about Ardour and Harrison or even Trinity Audio Group? Should they
> stop accepting paid advertising or paying for advertising/marketing
> opportunities?

There's advertisement on ardour.org ?

> What about all the trade shows where the sole purpose of such events is
> for self promotion and marketing?

You're free not to go there. They don't push it on you. If you choose to
go and expect to see self promotion and marketing; that's great! I do
enjoy visiting those events.

> And then we have DJ's, musicians and event promoters. Should they all stop
> marketing themselves and just hope that people come to their gigs?
>
> Not to mention TV and Radio. Both industries represent a significant
> potential revenue stream for Linux Audio businesses.

/me does not have a TV nor Radio :)

> An least we forget about all the medical, scientific and other technology
> industries that require our skills to make progress. Do you really think
> everyone should stop marketing, promoting and advertising?

No, but I'm also yet to come across a valuable scientific or medical
contribution that directly benefited from marketing or ads.

> Do you really think it is a reasonable policy for the Linux Audio
> Community let alone the Consortium which claims to support professional
> Linux Audio to be completely anti advertising?

My personal opinion aside:

I'm in favor to maintain a reasonable approach.
The freedom of the community (no user-tracking, no obligations WRT to
content posted on the site, no harassment, no discrimination, etc) takes
priority. We should _not_ be "completely anti advertising", but think
twice before adding ads or agreeing to 3rd party conditions.

We can certainly express gratitude or favor companies that support
linuxaudio.org but must be careful about maintaining independence.

It's not possible to genralize advertising campaigns, but online
marketing techniques usually come with strings attached..

Nobody complained that you put a link to _your_ site on the pages _you_
maintain on *.linuxaudio.org - but 3rd party interests - esp paid - is
questionable.

> Do the other members of this community feel so strongly too? That
> advertising is without merit and should be avoided like the plague for
> fear of contaminating out precious Linux Audio Ecosystem.
>
> Are we so succeptable to the evil powers of corporations that seek to
> control our message and brand that we cannot manage to hold our own ground
> and even take control of the message for our own purposes to promote the
> viability and power of the Linux Audio Platform and tools?

probably not, but there's a big lack of manpower behind linuxaudio.org
esp when it comes to bureaucracy, administration and PR. It'd be easy to
subvert the medium and the message.

ciao,
robin