Re: [LAU] poll : Advertising vs Linux Audio

From: Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Apr 23 2012 - 20:09:18 EEST

On 04/23/2012 04:00 AM, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> On Mon, April 23, 2012 2:06 am, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

>>> You do realise that many of the tools being produced by the Linux Audio
>>> Community are being used in the advertising industry which makes us all
>>> complicit in supporting it to start with.
>>>
>>> IMO we cannot avoid that fact that advertising and marketing is a very
>>> crucial component to global industry which enables the corporate world
>>> continue to function. We should seek to manage our own channel and
>>> therefore the message and brand rather than avoid it all together out of
>>> some ridiculous fear of becoming Evil.
>>
>> Sorry, it is not ridiculous at all.
>
> The liklihood of the Linux Audio community succumbing to the evils of the
> mighty dollar is pretty ridiculous.

I'm specifically talking about linuxaudio.org, not the global linux
audio community.

> We have too many checks and balances
> and are not afraid to call a spade a spade. We are certainly not beholden
> to anyone else's agenda afaict.

Correct. It is fantastic to work in such a community. But that does not
predict the future. I would think you underestimate how money can change
people and communities (for the better and for the worse).

>>> We may even make enough money in
>>> the process to pay some of our community members and help them to be
>>> productive and motivated.
>>
>> Managing our channel? Sorry, I don't quite understand. Do you mean
>> advertising our message on __other__ sites? What is "our message"?
>>

> The message is whatever we want it to be. If the message is that Linux
> Audio is *only* interested in non profit, volunteer or barely breaking
> even financial support from educational institutes then I guess we have
> already defined it and there is nothing more to be done.

I think the question originally asked about adding advertising to
linuxaudio.org _specifically_. That is what I answer in this thread. No
more. No less.

You ask about something very specific ("linuxaudio.org") and then apply
my answers to the world ("linux audio" - note the omission of org).
Please don't do that, that is not what I wrote, not what I meant. Of
course advertising has a place in commercial linux audio sites. If those
sites want that, then they should use that resource. And then users (and
the world) will or will not flock to them.

-- Fernando