Re: [LAU] poll : Advertising vs Linux Audio

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Apr 23 2012 - 14:00:59 EEST

On Mon, April 23, 2012 2:06 am, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> On 04/22/2012 04:04 AM, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

>>> Yes. I completely adhere to Robin's stance.
>>>

>> You do realise that many of the tools being produced by the Linux Audio
>> Community are being used in the advertising industry which makes us all
>> complicit in supporting it to start with.
>>
>> IMO we cannot avoid that fact that advertising and marketing is a very
>> crucial component to global industry which enables the corporate world
>> continue to function. We should seek to manage our own channel and
>> therefore the message and brand rather than avoid it all together out of
>> some ridiculous fear of becoming Evil.
>
> Sorry, it is not ridiculous at all.

The liklihood of the Linux Audio community succumbing to the evils of the
mighty dollar is pretty ridiculous. We have too many checks and balances
and are not afraid to call a spade a spade. We are certainly not beholden
to anyone else's agenda afaict.

>>We may even make enough money in
>> the process to pay some of our community members and help them to be
>> productive and motivated.
>
> Managing our channel? Sorry, I don't quite understand. Do you mean
> advertising our message on __other__ sites? What is "our message"?

The message is whatever we want it to be. If the message is that Linux
Audio is *only* interested in non profit, volunteer or barely breaking
even financial support from educational institutes then I guess we have
already defined it and there is nothing more to be done.

There is more to this community than just a bunch of well resourced
academics and semi retired technical experts with enough time on their
hands to give away everything for free.

>> If we continue to avoid the whole issue that is exactly what the "Evil"
>> marketing companies and corporations would like for us to do so that
>> they
>> can have complete control over the message, brand, content and income
>> stream...
>
> It would seem to me the issue is not being avoided at all (witness the
> long thread I'm still reading), it is just that not all people in this
> list - which you asked for feedback - agree with your view of the world
> and what linuxaudio.org should/could/must be.

That's fine that people disagree with me. I knew that before I asked the
list for feedback. I am seeking to find out how far it goes. Has it been a
conscious choice over the years to avoid the marketing industry as much as
possible or is it simply due to lack of expertise/interest/motivation.

One thing I don't understand is why some people think that taking steps to
make Linux Audio more attractive to advertisers in terms of providing
access to a professionally run channel for businesses that would like to
associate their brand with the Linux Audio platform is found to be so
distasteful.

Are we expected to believe that academia will provide all that we need and
therefore nothing else shall be required? What of the people who would
like to earn a living from the platform if possible are they simply on
their own or are we as a commmunity able to support them in their goals
too?

> Linuxaudio.org currently has (AFAIK) complete control of its brand,
> content and message. It is being kindly hosted by vt.edu and run by
> volunteers. But of course I don't know the details. Advertising, if
> anything, will dilute the control of the brand content and message - the
> way I see it of course, you will disagree. As everything else in the
> world, who puts the money eventually controls the message, not the other
> way around.

The Linux Audio Consortium was originally setup to promote and support
Audio related businesses who seek to work with the Linux platform. What it
has become is primarily a means of promoting academic research and a "non
profit" agenda.

> If advertising is accepted I presume linuxaudio.org will have to be
> hosted somewhere else (out of the .edu domain). Then advertising becomes
> a requirement for the survival of linuxaudio.org. No advertising, no
> hosting money. The more linuxaudio.org depends on advertising to run,
> the more it will be subject to control of its message.

That is why I have setup a new domain. linuxaudio.com was already taken
and would cost $3130 if anyone wants to purchase it. I think the
linux-audio.com domain is actually better suited as it provides a bit more
distinction so there should be less confusion from members of the
community. When it comes to people from outside looking in then they
probably won't make a distinction. But that is not necessarily a bad thing
as we can become "greater than the sum of our parts".

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd