Re: [LAU] poll : Advertising vs Linux Audio

From: Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Apr 23 2012 - 03:06:44 EEST

On 04/22/2012 04:04 AM, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> On Sun, April 22, 2012 12:52 pm, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
>> On 04/22/2012 05:13 AM, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>>> Do other people here have any strong opinions on the usefulness of
>>> advertising in the Linux Audio community?
>>>

>> Yes. I completely adhere to Robin's stance.
>>

> You do realise that many of the tools being produced by the Linux Audio
> Community are being used in the advertising industry which makes us all
> complicit in supporting it to start with.
>
> IMO we cannot avoid that fact that advertising and marketing is a very
> crucial component to global industry which enables the corporate world to
> continue to function. We should seek to manage our own channel and
> therefore the message and brand rather than avoid it all together out of
> some ridiculous fear of becoming Evil.

Sorry, it is not ridiculous at all.

>We may even make enough money in
> the process to pay some of our community members and help them to be
> productive and motivated.

Managing our channel? Sorry, I don't quite understand. Do you mean
advertising our message on __other__ sites? What is "our message"?

> If we continue to avoid the whole issue that is exactly what the "Evil"
> marketing companies and corporations would like for us to do so that they
> can have complete control over the message, brand, content and income
> stream...

It would seem to me the issue is not being avoided at all (witness the
long thread I'm still reading), it is just that not all people in this
list - which you asked for feedback - agree with your view of the world
and what linuxaudio.org should/could/must be.

Linuxaudio.org currently has (AFAIK) complete control of its brand,
content and message. It is being kindly hosted by vt.edu and run by
volunteers. But of course I don't know the details. Advertising, if
anything, will dilute the control of the brand content and message - the
way I see it of course, you will disagree. As everything else in the
world, who puts the money eventually controls the message, not the other
way around.

If advertising is accepted I presume linuxaudio.org will have to be
hosted somewhere else (out of the .edu domain). Then advertising becomes
a requirement for the survival of linuxaudio.org. No advertising, no
hosting money. The more linuxaudio.org depends on advertising to run,
the more it will be subject to control of its message.

-- Fernando