Re: [LAU] poll : Advertising vs Linux Audio

From: Fred <f.rech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Apr 23 2012 - 10:51:14 EEST

Le 23/04/2012 02:06, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano a écrit :
> ...Linuxaudio.org currently has (AFAIK) complete control of its brand,
> content and message. It is being kindly hosted by vt.edu and run by
> volunteers....If advertising is accepted I presume linuxaudio.org will
> have to be hosted somewhere else (out of the .edu domain). Then
> advertising becomes a requirement for the survival of linuxaudio.org.
> No advertising, no hosting money. The more linuxaudio.org depends on
> advertising to run, the more it will be subject to control of its
> message.
Fernando do have a pertinent point of view (of course!). Now, if we run
the hypothesis to the paranoïac level : it could happened that LAO goes
out of the .org domain, say to .com one. Then, people driving it could
not find enough advertisers to pay the bills, and then LinuxAudio.com
could just close. Of course it's a bit excessive as a description ! (Or
not, viewing the financial health of the whole system ?)

Anyway, Patrick asked for feedback, and had most advices not centered in
his way to see the situation. I think it's a good thing that LAO is
driven by volunteers, and out of commercial circuits. And of course it
doesn't forbid anybody to make money with his LA productions. Means,
Libre software is the point at LAO (if I understand it correctly), not
bussiness ! If you add advertising you go into the business world (not
to say it's evil, but different)

Fred