Re: [LAU] Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 supported in Alsa 1.0.25?

From: Martin Herren <martin.herren@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Apr 30 2012 - 19:00:53 EEST

Hi all,

seems my previous mail almost a week ago didn't reach the mailing list,
perhaps due to the attachement ?

So I had my first success with my Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 !

As proposed in
http://www.mail-archive.com/alsa-user@email-addr-hidden/msg27789.html,
using alsa-drivers 1.0.25 on UbuntuStudio 12.04, I commented out the call
to snd_usb_create_mixer() in the usb/card.c file (lines 537/538) and now
the playback and capture interfaces appear to aplay, arecord and jack.
Strangely I don't see the MIDI interface in qjackctl but amidi -l lists it,
but that's the same with an unpatched 1.0.25, must have missed something
somewhere as no other usb midi interface appears either. It was there in
1.0.24. There are also no controls found in alsamixer, but I expected that
with my 'patch'. Don't know if they should be some.

Prior to try that I plugged the interface to a WinXP computer, installed
the mixer tool v1.1 from the focusrite website which comes also with the
drivers v2.2. Using the mixer tool the firmware of the interface is
upgraded from v119 to v189. This didn't change anything beside with lsusb
-v I now see the new firmware version number (and 2 other minor changes,
ask me if you want the lsusb -v outputs).

I tested for the moment only 2 inputs and 4 outputs, will do some more
testing during the next days. As Plutek mentioned you need access to a
windows or mac computer to configure the routing/mixing inside the device
as well as the instrument inputs as there are many possible options. But
you can save the config to the device to use it with Linux. Did a quick USB
spy of the device while doing line/instrument input switches and tryied to
'play the commands' using libusb but didn't succeed so far.

But for simple multitrack recording and playback the device is usable that
way as long as you don't need to change the config often.

Thanks,

/Martin

--
http://www.sandsoftime.ch