Re: [LAU] Issue with the priority of the sound cards using rtirq

From: Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 01 2012 - 21:32:00 EEST

On 05/01/2012 04:17 AM, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
> On 05/01/12 12:09, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> Jeremy, the bad is, that I don't have another PCIe x1 slot:(.
>>

> Ah bummer :(

>> *reboot*
>>
>> The reboot doesn't improve anything:(.
>
> So the output of /etc/init.d/rtirq status is the same as in the other
> mail? That's really weird. The only thing I can think of is that
> something else (another script?) is prioritizing stuff too (like the
> nvidia and ohci_hcd processes).

(I don't seem to find the start of the thread in my mailbox)

ohci_hcd is there is you specify usb in the list of priorities rtirq
needs to raise. And nvidia is there probably because it shares an
interrupt with a real soundcard. Rtirq does not raise the priority of
only the soundcard, but everything that uses the interrupt that the
soundcard uses.

AFAIK it is not possible (or simple) to raise _just_ the soundcard as it
is impossible to know which irq process corresponds to a soundcard (and
which one does not). That is because the labeling of the irq process
names in the ps listing is arbitrary. At least that is what I remember
seeing last I looked at this issue. You can of course manually lower the
priorities of non-soundcard irq processes with chrt.

-- Fernando