Re: [LAU] [solved] OT: Behringer PSU UB-SPSU2 for an Eurorack UB2442FX-PRO

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Wed May 09 2012 - 19:22:26 EEST

On Wed, 2012-05-09 at 12:02 -0400, gene heskett wrote:
> Could=cold=microscopic crack in the solder?

No a perfect looking joint had no contact to a pin, it only had conatct
to the board.

> I'm not familiar with that particular diode. However power rated switching
> diodes that fast really stretch the limits of the technology, so I would
> expect a higher failure rate for that compared to the 3 to 20 microsecond
> recovery times of a more normal power diode.

Indeed. the HER 303 with 50ns is the second fast diode we found. Thomas
searched a lot and found another diode with 25ns or similar fast. He
never has seen such a fast diode in another switching supply.

I don't have any experiences. Yesterday I learned it and why just one
diode is needed.

> 3 kilovolts peak

That's why I would like to live in a house with several stages of
overvoltage protection. Those spark gap thingys from the DYI market or
the same crap 100 * more expensive from the musical instrument dealer
won't help if this happens. Even if the peak would be slow.

> Light bulbs and small equipment fuses didn't last as long as they should
> have for obvious reasons.

:D

And it easily could go through the computer too.

Regards,
Ralf