Re: [LAU] getting better performance on arch/kernel 3.3.4

From: Atte André Jensen <atte@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri May 11 2012 - 09:36:25 EEST

On 2012-05-11 06:20, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> OT: I dropped Arch for music. I still like Arch, but IMO the rolling
> release model makes an audio workstation unstable/unusable. I can't
> remember when I run pacman the last time to upgrade my install. I go
> with Debian and Ubuntu. IMO Ubuntu is the better choice for a DAW. YMMV.

Been there, done that.

I ran debian for years, but god tired of the ancient software available
in stable. I could run testing or unstable, but that introduces the same
problems you mention. In my experience the minor breaks that can happen
in an arch upgrade are 1) small and 2) easy to fix, especially thinks to
the high quality of the arch documentation/community. You could argue
(and are probably hinting at) that I was bit by exactly that: the
rolling upgrade.

I switched to ubuntu for the 1/2 year release cycle, and was happy with
it for a few years. The best thing ubuntu has going for it IMO is the
mainstream-ness, meaning that more people use it and (esp if you stick
to the default software) bugs are less rare. However the bloat, the poor
realtime kernel support, the rumor that ubuntu was considering switching
to a rolling release model and the general direction ubuntu is heading
in made me switch to arch.

I realize that you were going OT and trying to be helpful. However I'm
sure that if I follow your advise and install ubuntu, the next time I
get a problem some other guy will tell me that he prefers arch, debian,
gentoo, suse (or windows) and that my problem would go away if I switch.
In the long run dist hopping is not really fruitful for neither the user
or the community, and I would (as I did in the past) think hard before
switching distro, and I would only consider it the last resort.

But hey, thanks for sharing the thought :-)

--
Atte
http://atte.dk   http://modlys.dk