Re: [LAU] denoising audio files

From: Thomas Vecchione <seablaede@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon May 21 2012 - 20:17:26 EEST

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 6:07 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine <
alexandre.prokoudine@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> http://wiki.audacityteam.org/index.php?title=Noise_Removal

Please no. Unless they have had a giant jump up in quality in recent
months, this just doesn't cut it.

Tools on linux are audacity or gnome wave cleaner (
> http://gwc.sourceforge.net/) - or you can also try our new noise
> reduction algorithms with auphonic:
>
> http://auphonic.com/blog/2012/05/11/experimental-noise-reduction-and-algorithm-chooser/

GWC last I checked hadn't been developed in some time. Hadn't heard of
auphonic, will have to take a look right now.

Others have given good comments as chances are for traffic noise which can
be variable can be difficult to filter out of a recording. Note that I
didn't say remove, or even denoise, as neither of those are accurate and
you will never end up with an identical quality recording as if it wasn't
there, or really even close in many cases.

Personally at the moment I am using Festige combined with WaveARTs MR Noise
for realtime noise reduction on Linux. This was extensively used on the
recent video that was part of the Tube Kickstarter campaign (ABout 16
instances of thise IIRC combined with other tools that were suggested
elsewhere in this thread). But Ricardus is completely correct, I have yet
to find quality noise reduction tools on Linux. I do need to check out the
aforementioned auphonic however, hadn't heard that.

            Seablade